Serving Waukesha County for more than 35 years.

Ready To Go To Work For You - 262-955-8330

Can I change the amount of child support I pay or receive?

Payment of child support is a common point of contention for parents all across Wisconsin. And even though the courts use specific guidelines to calculate payments, it is not unusual if you ended up feeling like the amount is unfair. Whether you pay or receive child support, you could be wishing you could change the amount.

The good news is that it is possible to have child support payments modified. The not-so-good news is that modifications are only granted in certain situations. Below are some of the events that might warrant review of a support order and possible modification.

  • Your child's medical needs have changed dramatically
  • You or the other parent have experienced a significant increase or decrease in income
  • Your custody arrangement changes
  • The order has not been reviewed for at least three years

When these or other significant life events affect the amount of money parents need or can pay, the courts can review the existing order and make a determination regarding whether modification is appropriate.

It should be noted that an order for child support can also be changed if both parents agree to a new amount.

A court must approve a modification before it can go into effect. This means that you should not informally modify payments or stop making payments without the court's approval. If you do this, you could wind up being in contempt of court orders and penalized.

Whether you want to seek an increase in contributions from another parent or reduce your own payment obligations, child support modification can be critical for you as a parent and your children. Considering how important this matter can be, it would be wise to consult an attorney to discuss the specifics of child support modification process in Wisconsin

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email us for a response

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

707 W. Moreland Blvd., Suite 9
Waukesha, WI 53188

Fax: 262-547-7517
Map & Directions