Options for recovering past due child support payments

On behalf of admin

A noncustodial parent in Wisconsin or any other state may be required to pay child support. These payments are designed to meet the best interests of the child and support the notion that parenting is a shared responsibility. Although an individual may be ordered to pay child support, he or she may not always do so. Reasons for failing to make payments may range from a simple inability to pay to a belief that the amount is too high.

Typically, the amount of a child support payment is determined by looking at the noncustodial parent’s income and expenses. If a custodial parent does not receive his or her payment, it may be possible to notify the court that made the order to pay. The court may work with the parents to come up with a reasonable solution to the problem. If mediation or similar efforts don’t work, a noncustodial parent may be held in contempt of court.

This may allow the government to take steps like garnishing wages to collect what is owed. In addition to wage garnishment, it may also be possible to seize or put liens on property and assets. Tax refunds may be redirected from a noncustodial parent to the person who is owed money until an outstanding child support balance is paid.

If a child support order is created as part of a divorce, both parents are generally obligated to abide by its terms. Those who believe that the order is unfair may ask to revisit it at a later date. In some cases, support payments may be reduced or otherwise altered in a manner that meets the needs of the parent and child. An attorney may assist a parent with seeking support or a modification to an existing order.