Waukesha Juvenile Law Attorneys

It is inevitable that some children may be affected by juvenile or family law issues. The experienced attorneys at Walden Neitzke & Kuhary, S.C., are sensitive to the short-term and long-term effects of divorce, custody disputes, domestic abuse and other juvenile law matters impacting minor children, such as termination of parental rights, step-parent adoptions or guardianships. We work with parents, grandparents, legal guardians, law enforcement officials and others in a wide range of legal matters involving youth.

Termination Of Parental Rights/Step-Parent Adoption

In cases where a parent has failed to assume parental responsibilities or has had little to no contact with a child, a termination of parental rights action is a good option to protect your child and to provide permanency or stability for a child. In cases where a step-parent has been informally raising and/or supporting a child in lieu of a biological parent, a termination of rights and step-parent adoption is a legal option that should be considered. Our team of attorneys would be happy to review your case to let you know if this is an option for your family.

Petitioning For Guardianship

Some home environments are not suitable or safe for children. One or both parents may be struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, or there may be evidence of abuse in the household. Our Waukesha legal team helps grandparents, aunts and uncles, extended family members, and others petition for guardianship when it is warranted. A guardianship may be temporary or permanent from:

  • Evidence of child abuse
  • Abandonment or neglect of parental responsibilities
  • Disruption of parental custody

Our Lawyers Handle CHIPS And JIPS Cases

We counsel clients about relative adoptions, young truancy and termination of parental rights. We have extensive experience with cases involving children in need of protection or services (CHIPS) or juveniles in need of protection or services (JIPS). These legal matters are extremely sensitive and require the careful and committed guidance of a law firm like ours.

Wisconsin law states that a parent is entitled to custody of his or her child unless it can be shown the parent is unfit or unable to provide proper care for the child.

A CHIPS petition may be submitted by a parent or guardian, a grandparent, a representative of the state or a child on his or her own behalf. Both the parents and the child have a right to representation in CHIPS or JIPS cases. Parents may petition the court for termination of a guardianship if they are able to prove they are fit to parent.

Let Us Review Your Concerns During A Consultation

Whether you are a parent, grandparent, uncle, aunt or simply someone who is concerned about a child’s well-being, we welcome the opportunity to address your concerns during a free consultation. Call 262-547-5517 or use our online contact form to schedule a meeting. We serve clients in Waukesha and surrounding communities.